Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sick Day

As you all know by now, I rarely have time to myself right now with 3 kids. Contrary to what it may seem, I've come to accept that.  However, I will never  get over the fact that when I get sick taking care of 3 kids just plain sucks.  There is no calling into work and telling them you're not coming in.  There's no sitting on the couch all day with a cup of hot tea and the remote control.  No, when you have 3 kids you have to still work no matter what.  Luckily, I got sick over the weekend, so Andy was there to help, but there are times when I still have to "work".  Especially with Lana, because she is all about Mommy right now.  Even worse, poor Sonya got sick on Sunday with a fever.  So with two of us down, it was not exactly a fun weekend.

I started to feel the familiar scratchy throat and exhaustion somewhere around Saturday afternoon.  It just got worse from there.  I started on the Zicam, which I still can't decide whether works or not.  Then I felt achy so I took some Tylenol.  Not really much of a fever, thank goodness.  By the end of the day I was in full sick mode and Andy ordered me to go to bed by 9:30.  I complied.  Unfortunately, in the middle of the night Sonya woke up with a fever.  It wasn't too high at that point.  Sunday I felt like complete crap and Andy got up with the kids.  They were surprisingly good.  Usually Lana whines for me when Andy walks in to get her up, but Sunday she decided to cut us a break and went with him willingly.  I went back to sleep and didn't hear anything until a little after 8.  I got up walked into the living room and there they all were, Sonya and Lana watching TV, Andy and Georgia passed out on the couch.  It was too cute. 

 I put Georgia in bed and Andy went to get us some breakfast.  The day pretty much consisted of me just trying to get through it.  Andy was a big help and did the kitchen clean ups, which happen about 50 times a day.  I still changed diapers and got everyone dressed.  I myself got changed from my pajamas to my "daytime" pajamas.  That pretty much means I went from a PJ bottom and t-shirt to a yoga pants bottom and t-shirt.  I was a vision of beauty, let me tell you.  The best part of the day was the 2 hours of peace that we did get.  ALL of the girls slept at the same time.  This is a phenomenon that never happens anymore.  Sonya usually doesn't take naps, but when she's sick she does, and for a moment I was sorry she wasn't sick more often.  It would have been some great quality with my husband if I hadn't passed out myself from being sick. Eventually, they all did wake up and Sonya declared, 

"I feel MUCH better." 

Yeah, nice try Miss 102 degree fever.  I guess she was trying to think positively so she could go outside to play.  Only a few more hours and I could put them all back to bed for the night.  We managed to get through the rest of the day.  Me doing the bare minimum, Andy picking up the slack and the pizza for dinner.  No way in hell I was cooking.  Finally we got them all in bed for the night and me resting on the couch.  I was actually feeling better and decided that this go around the Zicam was working.  Well, that and the super extra strength Motrin I still had leftover from having Georgia last year.  I was ordered to bed early again, but I was up on and off through the night with Sonya and her fever, so it didn't help much getting to bed early.  On a good note, her fever was down this morning.  On a bad note, she did still have it and therefore missed her first day of summer school.  Great.  Just when I thought I'd get a bit of my sanity back. 

I am feeling better, but still not 100% which sucks even more because my in-laws come today.  I hate being sick when company is around.   So I'm just doing my best to adopt Sonya's positive thinking and say I'm feeling MUCH better, but mostly I'm just counting the hours until every one's bedtime...including my own. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there! Let me know if you need anything.