Thursday, September 22, 2011

Going Green Again

A few weeks ago, after the Mommy and Me class I take Lana and Georgia to, there was a mom selling a product she had made.  The product was reusable bags.  I'm not sure if some of you have seen these in another place or online, but when I found hers I thought they were absolute genius.  I only had enough cash to buy two at the time, but the week later she was at the Family Picnic at Sonya's school, and I bought four more.  


I don't know about the rest of you, but I pack a lunch and snack everyday for at least two of the girls.  This meant using Ziploc baggies that would get thrown away after they finished their food.  I was beginning to feel really guilty for how much trash we were making every day, not to mention the cost of going through the baggies.  I've tried containers, but they take up so much room in the lunchbox, it's just not feasible.  Then I found Colleen and her product.  You guys these things are awesome!  You can put wet or dry food in them, and they can go in the washer AND dryer.  Woo-hoo!  They have a Velcro to hold the bag closed and keep the food in.  The best part is they come in all kinds of patterns and colors for girls or boys.  They come in snack or sandwich size.  Right now we just have the snack ones.  Here are some of the ones we have.




Colleen is a stay at home mom and hand makes them.  She uses the money she makes from them to supplement her family's income.  I don't know Colleen at all, but I loved her product so much, I told her I would tell all of you about it.  I'm also all about helping  a fellow mom in any way I can.  We have to stick together you know!  You can find her website here and order some for your kids.  It doesn't matter if you live here in Burbank or across the pond in London.  She will make 'em and send them to you. Buy a few and save yourself some money, AND the earth.  It's a win win!  Plus your kids will love the fun colors and patterns.  My girls will request which ones they want in their lunchbox that day.  I've only been using them about a month, but so far they are holding up really well.  So go to her site and buy a few for your family!   Then tell your friends.  I'm sure you will love them as much as we do.  

3 comments:

The Screwer Upper said...

Just bought a bunch! No better gift for my mom, the queen of wash-it-and-use-it-a-thousand-times freezer bags! Gonna pass info on as well.

-BADK

Journeys of The Zoo said...

Thanks for the PSA. I've contacted Colleen (and mentioned your blog) and am really excited about all the designs (I know, I need to get out more). Once they arrive, I will definitely tell friends.

Question, what size(s) did you get? I currently use 4x7 (snack size) baggies and was wondering if they'd be comparable. I need snacks for two little ones, do you think the small ones would suffice (assuming you got one)?

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Kristi said...

I got the snack sizes. We already had the tupperware sandwich containers so I didn't need that size. The snack size is perfect for just about anything else. You should be good with those with your little one. Enjoy!