Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Messy Art 2

Today I took Georgia to the second round of messy art class.  It's also the last one we are going to.  There is one on Thursday, but I have set that day aside as my grocery shopping day since I just have Georgia in the mornings.  Not so sure when the hell I'm going to grocery shop once Sonya and Lana are out of school, which is next week, but we'll deal with it then.  I just wanted to share with you a couple more cool ideas for art to do with or give to your kids during the summer.


Now, as I said in the last post about this, I think it best if you do these projects outside.  Sure you can do them in your house, but who wants to clean up that mess?  This way the mess is outside where you can't see it and where the hose or rain can clean it up for you!  Win win!  Or maybe just winning.  I'll check with Mr. Sheen on that one.  Anyway, today we did a good deal of painting, which doesn't seem all that different, but it's what the kids painted with that made it fun.  Instead of the same ol' paintbrush technique, they had trays of paint (one color per tray), with different things to use to put the color on the paper.  Things like little toy cars that you roll in the paint and then roll across he paper, loofahs, hairbrushes, kitchen utensils, plastic squeaky toys,  and just about anything else you can think of.  The kids love using something other than paintbrushes, and the pictures come out with a more textured look.  Plus it's a good way to put all those old Happy Meal toys to good use! 



Another painting project involved using salad spinners.  Get an old salad spinner, or perhaps just the one you don't use at home, like I have.  Then get some paper plates and paint.  Place the paper plate inside the salad spinner and drip different color paint onto the plate.  Then put the lid on the spinner and spin away!  The result is a "spin art" picture.  


The last thing I will share with you is probably my favorite one we did.  We made our own silly putty!  This one is super easy, but keep in mind also a bit messy.  You need, 1/4 cup white Elmer's glue, 1/4 cup liquid starch and paper or plastic cups.  Mix the glue and starch in the cup together.  Stir it until it starts to form a more solid consistency.  Then take it out and squish together with your hands.  It will eventually become a putty like substance that the kids can play with and reuse.  I believe it's best to put it in an air tight container when they are done playing with it.  You may also be able to add some food coloring to this one so it's not just boring white, but not I'm not positive about that, so do it at your own risk. 


Well, this concludes Kristi's Messy Art for Summer.  If I run across any other good ideas, I will certainly send then along.  In the meantime I hope this help all of you, as well as myself, to keep some sanity this summer!  Good luck! 

No comments: