Saturday, January 23, 2010

Snack Attack

Even though I'm feeling a bit crappy these past couple days from yet ANOTHER cold, I thought I'd get on here real quick to give you a funny Sonya story.

Last weekend we went to a birthday party for a little boy who is Sonya's age. The place the party was at was a bit, um... well, treacherous. It was all concrete where the kids could run around, and ride the little ride on things they had there. That wouldn't have been that bad if not for the baby pools filled with bubble solution. They had huge bubble wands for the kids to make big bubbles which was super fun for them. Except do you know what happens when soapy water and concrete meet? They create a very slippery effect together, and one that's not so fantastic for 2-5 year olds to run around. There were so many kids falling and getting hurt, I'm surprised the Law Offices of Binder and Binder weren't there handing out cards.

Toward the end of the party I was chatting with a couple of parents who asked me if my kids had gotten hurt yet, and surprisingly they had not. Oh wait...do I hear crying? Oh yes, that one is mine. NOW one of my kids was hurt. It was Sonya. She had been in a wagon and somehow fallen out onto her elbow/arm. I saw my friend, who's son's birthday party it was, and another woman bending down trying to console her. I walked over to do the same. I figured I probably needed to since I am her mother and all.

There she was crying, and rubbing her hurt arm. I went over and gave her a hug, told her to take a deep breath and try to "shake it off". Something I tell all my girls to do when they get hurt, but not so bad that it requires serious attention. She started to calm down and then I noticed in her non hurt hand she was holding on to some tortilla chips. She must have gotten them from the snack table before the fall. I was sort of surprised she still managed to hang on to them. Then all of a sudden, between sobs, she took her handful of chips and started eating them. There she was crying and yet still able to munch on some chips. The other two woman looked at her and then at me and I said,

"Well, I guess you're not hurt that badly if you can still eat your chips." Then Sonya looked at me and with chips still in her mouth said,

"No, it DOES hurt!"

"Okay, okay," I said. "Just calm down." She finally did after a couple minutes, and a few more chips.

She did end up with a bruise on her arm, but nothing bad, and yes, she was able to finish her chips. Then she went back for more. Yup, she's my kid!

No comments: