Thursday, April 28, 2011

Thriller

Yesterday afternoon I was hiding out in my bedroom, while the girls were running around, screaming and playing in their own rooms.  Sonya came back to find me and said,


"Mom, I have a question I need to ask you."


This always means something interesting is coming next.


"Okay," I said.  "What is it?"


"Well, Aaron at school said that when Michael Jackson died he turned into a zombie."


Wow! Where did THAT come from??  I mean Michael Jackson died like what, almost 2 years ago?  Not to mention the fact that this kid is taking a music video from the 80's and combining with a more recent event.  Although, I guess I could see how that could get confusing at six.  


"No, honey Michael Jackson did not turn into a zombie," I assured her.  "There was a music video when Mommy was little where he PRETENDED to be a zombie, but he is not one for real now."


"But he died?" She asked.


"Yes he did."


"Aaron said he took a WHOLE bag of medicine and that's how he died," she told me.


To which I replied, "Ummmmm, well, more or less I suppose that's what happened." 


"But he's not a zombie?" She asked me again skeptically.


"No. What, you don't believe me?" I asked.


She stared at me for a minute, then I said, 


"Who are you going to believe Aaron at school or your mom?"


"Weeelllll..." she hesitated.


REALLY?  Come on now!


"Sonya, he is six and there is no such thing as zombies.  You need to trust me on this one," I said.


"Ooookkaayy..." she replied and ran back to the rest of the screaming clan down the hallway.  


I can't believe she wasn't sure who to trust.  Although, I will admit I have a big fear of zombies myself and there might have been a tiny part of me that is afraid that I will be proven wrong, and the six year old is right.  Maybe she sensed I wasn't totally committed to what I was telling her. I mean who knows, Michael Jackson may just be lurking in the thriller night. 

No comments: