Tuesday, February 22, 2011

It's Just A Little Crush

I'm still so surprised that girls develop crushes on boys at such a young age.  Last year Sonya told me she was "in love" with a boy named Eli in her class.  She continued to talk about him over the summer and even the beginning of the year.  However, he is not in her class this year, and a boy named Joey is.


Joey is one of those kids who you know is going to be the boy all the girls like.  He's a cute blond haired blue eyed class clown type.  Plus he looks like he could be the jock in high school too.  So naturally, the girls are already giving him attention and Sonya is leading the pack.  She talks about him just about every day.  One day last week she wore a shirt that said "Miss Talks A Lot".  So much truth in that one little shirt.  She came home excited because Joey read her shirt and then commented on it,


"Yeah you DO talk a lot!" She told me he said.   Well, at least he's getting to know what girls are like.


 She was so happy that he commented on what she wore that the next day she found another shirt in her closet with the words "Girl League" on it.  She decided to put it on to see if Joey would read it again.  Alas, he didn't comment this time.  Oh well, a girl's gotta try right?


Then she told me something last week that made me want to send Andy over to Joey's house to beat him up.  Then I remembered Joey is only six and that probably wouldn't reflect to well on us as parents.  We were in the car on the way back from school and Sonya was talking about Joey again and how much she liked him.  I guess I asked her something about her friends and if they like him or other boys, etc.  So we were having this conversation and she was being very open with me.  Something I know will end in a few years, so I'll take it when I can.   Then she tells me Joey doesn't like her.


"How do you know that?" I ask.


"Because I heard him telling one of the other boys 'she likes me, but I don't like her'." She told me, without a hint of sadness.


I said to her, "Well, then you should just find someone else to like, if he doesn't like you."


"NO!" she yelled.  "I like him."


"You don't care that he doesn't like you back?" I asked.


"Nah," she told me.


"Okay," I said and let it go.  Inside though I was thinking "what the hell is wrong with this Joey?!  Does he not see how cute, fun, and smart my little girl is?!"  Then I have to remind myself, she's six.


Looks like the dating years with my girls are going to be harder on me than my own dating years were.


Ahhh good times!

2 comments:

Lanita said...

It is scary how early it starts. Kindergarten seems to be the start, although my daughters seemed to know who they were going to marry in preschool. I can't say too much, though. I married my jr. high school sweetheart.

Unknown said...

Yeah Kris, and just think, Sonya won't have a Marine Officer dad to scare away the ones she doesn't want attention from - even harder for you! But now you know how I felt!!!

Dad