Friday, February 18, 2011

A Big Birthday

Last night I went to a class at the Burbank Adult School down the street.  It's the same school where I take parenting class with Georgia every Tuesday. Sometimes they do parenting workshops during the week.  When I found out the one last night was, "Raising Girls", I was first in line to sign up.  I mean you can't get much more about raising girls than me.  Well, unless you have four or five girls. Or eleven, like my great grandmother, but that's just stupid.  Although in her defense, she was Italian and Catholic, and it was about 100 years ago when there really was no birth control, but still.  I digress.  Halfway through the workshop, I realized most of what the instructor was telling us, and what tricks to use, I already do.  Then I thought it about it more and noticed every time I read some kind of parenting book, magazine, watch a video, whatever,  I am already doing about 85% of what they suggest.  Not that I couldn't improve here and there, but it appears I do know what I'm doing as a mom.  At least according to the "experts".  Huh.  Who knew?  Not me, because half the time I feel like I'm NOT doing it right, but I guess the groundwork I'm laying with my girls is pretty spot on.  Do I just know how to do this instinctively?  I'm sure that there is some truth to that.  The fact remains though, I had a great teacher.  MY mom. Coincidentally, today is her 60th birthday.


I wanted to acknowledge her on this day, because so much of the way I parent is the way she parented us.   I want to make sure she knows how successful she's been in her 60 years.   My sisters parent the same way as well, so together we are raising eight kids in this world who will (hopefully) become successful, caring, responsible adults like my sisters and I are.  That is because of my mom.  Okay, well I shouldn't leave my Dad out in the cold.  He had a lot to do with raising us too, but my mom was our primary care giver, like my sisters and I are to our own children.  Although the Dads have an extremely important role, we moms are the first line of defense, so to speak.


My mom is also a fantastic first grade teacher.  She is the type of teacher who you remember as one of your favorites, when you are an adult.  She always makes learning fun for her kids, like having a snow day at school in February.  I know some of you just questioned that last line saying, "So?  There's a ton of snow in February. Especially THIS year!"  Except in Florida, which is where she teaches.  Snow in Florida?  Can you imagine that as a kid?  Most of those kids have no idea what snow is, until they come to my mom's class.  She's also done things like make green eggs and ham on Dr. Suess's birthday, and have a pajama day.  She tries to make it fun for kids to learn instead of just teaching to get a paycheck.  It seems so many teachers have given up on the fun part of teaching kids these days.  She is the teacher that parents hear about and request their kids to have.  


My mom isn't rich, famous, or a rocket scientist. However, in her 60 years on this planet, in this life, my mom has contributed more to society than twenty people her age, by being a great mom and a great teacher.  There is this famous quote:


"One hundred years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, how big my house was, or what kind of car I drove. But the world may be a little better, because I was important in the life of a child."-Forest E. Witcraft

This is my mom.  To me she's done more than Bill Gates, Angelina Jolie, or Oprah Winfrey.  She has made a difference in the lives of many kids she has taught over the years.  More importantly, she has made a difference and taught my sisters and I well in how to be good moms.  I can only hope that my girls will learn from me and become great mothers as well, thereby carrying on my mom's legacy.


Thanks for everything you've done and continue to do mom!  Happy 60th!


ps-Sorry I couldn't be there in person to help you celebrate, but drink a glass of wine for me in honor of you.  Maybe two glasses.


No comments: