Thursday, March 4, 2010

Fright Night

I know I've mentioned on here a few times before about Sonya being a bit of a scared kid, mostly when it comes to movies. Truth be told this is an inherited trait, as I am a bit of a baby myself when it comes to watching scary movies or shows. Well, that's not entirely true. I actually LIKE to watch them to scare the crap out of myself. This always leads to me having nightmares for a couple nights. Although, I should point out that I won't watch ALL scary movies. I can no longer watch Zombie movies, because they really freak me out, for whatever reason. I've never been a fan of slasher/gory movies either, like Saw. I prefer a good ghost story or other supernatural type of tale. Poltergeist is probably my all time favorite, as far as scary movies go, and I love the TV show Supernatural. So the other night when I saw Andy had recorded Amityville Horror on our DVR, I was all for watching it. Even if it was the silly remake with Ryan Reynolds. (At least he's fun to look at.) However, it was what happened at the very end of the movie that frightened me the most.

The kids have had colds for a few days now and nobody has been sleeping great in our house. The night that we watched the movie, was probably the night Lana was feeling the worst. Thankfully, she didn't wake up at all during the movie, as I sat on the couch tense yelling at the stupid people in the movie to GET OUT OF THE FREAKING HOUSE, ALREADY! If you haven't seen it, I don't want to spoil for you entirely, but they do finally leave at the end. Okay, I spoiled it, sorry.

Anyway, after they make their escape, the camera goes back to a shot of the creepy house. It leads you back inside where the little ghost girl, with a bullet shot in her head, stands at the bottom of the staircase. She's about four years old and clutching her stuffed bear with a single tear on her face. I ask you is there anything creepier than little ghost kids or demonic kids, like in The Omen? For some reason when kids are evil, it's just extra creepy. I digress. So there the little ghost girl stands at the bottom of the stairs. Then, suddenly, she gets pulled through the floor by another ghost and credits roll. The moment right before the credits, right after the ghost girl disappears, we hear a loud THUD! from Sonya and Lana's room. I look at Andy he looks at me and we both freeze for a minute. Needless to say I was completely FREAKED OUT.

"What the HELL was that?" I asked.

"Don't know," Andy answered. "Sounds like someone fell out of bed."

Andy being the more rational and much less scared one in the family, immediately stood up and walked toward the direction of the noise, while I sat glued to the couch. Then Lana started to cry.

We open the door to find Lana lying on the ground whimpering. She had indeed fallen out of her little bed. Now, this act in itself isn't so weird, because kids fall out of their beds all the time. Sonya used to fall out of hers when she first started sleeping in it, even though there is a guard rail. Because they are all over the place when they sleep, they manage to work past the rail and fall out at the end of the bed. Here's the weird part, Lana has been sleeping in her bed since November and NOT ONCE has she fallen out. So why now, on a night we watch a SCARY MOVIE, does she fall out? And the timing! At the very end when the scary ghost girl gets pulled through the floor? Why? WHY? Well, I was of course convinced she was pushed by the ghost girl, but knowing that Andy would just roll his eyes at me, I kept this thought to myself.

We calmed her down and placed her back in her bed. Then for the rest of the night when I had to get up to check on her or one of the other girls, I was convinced I was going to be greeted by a ghost girl in the hallway. The only way to combat this... run into the hall to get the light to pop on. Ghosts don't like the light.

That little experience reminded me of how ridiculous I can be when I watch something scary. I have a bit of an overactive imagination I guess. So I suppose the next time Sonya freaks out about not wanting to watch The Little Mermaid because of the Sea Witch, I'll be more compassionate. After all, the Sea Witch to her is the creepy ghost girl to me. Crap, I think I may be scared of The Little Mermaid now.


2 comments:

Meg Drew said...

haha... we are too alike. I was getting scared just reading about the scary movie!!

Kristi said...

Funny, I was getting scared again writing about it!