Saturday, May 30, 2009

To Fight the Good Fight

When you have three kids you have to expect a certain amount of fighting to ensue every day.  About 50 times a day.  Right now I technically don't have 3 kids fighting, because Georgia is still just a baby, and she doesn't really care that she didn't get to hold that stuffed animal the same amount of time her sister did.  As long as she's got something to put in her mouth and chew on, she's happy.  Sonya and Lana, however, are becoming experts at the fighting.  They play really well together most of the time, but about every 10 minutes or so it'll turn to screaming and yelling and usually someone crying.  Most of the time, Lana.  

This morning I was trying to have my private time in the bathroom.  I was excited to read the new US Weekly to find out if Kate was indeed going to leave Jon.  Normally I don't buy those stupid tabloids, but I have to admit every once in a while a story sucks me in.  Right now I am a bit obsessed with the Jon and Kate story, and  I don't even watch the show regularly.  I'm not proud of my obsession, but it's there.  I didn't get very far in the latest update on them when I heard screaming coming from the living room.  Now normally on Saturdays, I do get to have a few minutes in the bathroom to myself.  Today, however, my husband, Andy went to play golf with the guys from work.  He only goes about 3 times a year, but when he does it's all day and he might as well BE at work, because I'm alone with the girls.  All day.  On a Saturday.  It may sound like I'm complaining, but I'm really not.  He's a great dad, and is usually here every weekend with us and I go do things by myself most of the time on the weekend. But I love him and I want him to stay sane so, sometimes he needs to get away.  I mean time away other than work.  But I digress.  So I hear the screaming start, from Lana.  Lana is also my screamer.  I think the crying and screaming go hand in hand.  Then again I have girls, so those things are inevitable.   

"What's going on?!"  I yell.  I get no response.  I repeat myself only louder this time.  Then I get this from Sonya, "Well...." This usually means she's done something she's not supposed to, and she's trying to think of the best way to tell me to get her in the least amount of trouble.  I save her the time.  

"Why are you fighting?" I ask.  Then I see Sonya shove Lana.  

"That's it Sonya!  Time out!  Go to your room!"  She did and I realize Jon and Kate's story would have to wait.  I leave the bathroom to check on Lana.  She was fine.  Apparently fine enough to start hitting the baby with her blankie. Georgia was just sitting there innocently.  So I pick Lana up and put her in time out.  So there they both sat for 4 minutes and 2 minutes in time out.  It does seem to help.  They are nice to each other for a little while but then it starts all over again.  

When I was a kid, my sisters and I would always ask my mom what she wanted for her birthday or mother's day and her response was always the same, "Three good girls."  I could never understand why she would ask for that when she could get the latest Barbie or Cabbage Patch doll.  NOW I get it.  All I can say is, sorry for all that fighting mom.  I'd take 24 hours of  "three good girls" over Barbie any day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.