Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Obsession

When you deal with a two year old you deal with a good amount of obsessions.  At least that's the case with my daughter Lana.  For a while she loved Elmo, now we can't get through the day without the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse playing at least 2 to 3 times.  Trust me I'll have that theme song in my head even when I'm sitting in the nursing home at 87.  Her other current obsession is hand washing.  I don't know why, but she wants to do it constantly.  I do remember her older sister going through it around the same age too, so maybe it's something alot of them go through, who knows.  All I do know is I've had to replace the soap in the bathroom twice this week and the city of Burbank has been calling to ask us to cut down on our water usage.  My daughter may be the reason Southern California goes into drought mode.  

Anyway-natured called a bit earlier for me this morning and all three of them were up and playing in their bedroom.  I knew it wasn't going to be a very private time for me today, but when you gotta go...So after about 2 minutes, Lana came running into the bathroom and hung on the sink saying "I wanna wash hands!"  I explained to her that she couldn't do that right now, because I couldn't help her pull the chair over to the sink considering my current state.  "I WANNA WASH HAAAAANNNDDSSS!!"  There's no reasoning with them at this age.  "Lana  you can't right now." I tried again.   At this point she flung her tiny body on the floor and proceeded to have a full blown 2  year old temper tantrum, all because I was a mean mean mommy and wouldn't let her "wash hands."  All I could do was sigh and watch it.  After about a minute, she realized I was getting ready to leave the bathroom and she immediately stopped her tantrum looked at me and said "I fush toilet."  This is also something she's been obsessed with lately, but this time I could give in to her.  She walked over to the handle waved bye to the contents (something we've taught her in a potty training capacity) and left the bathroom happy, forgetting all about the fact that she didn't get to wash her hands.  Now if I could only find a replacement obsession for Mickey. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm obsessed with standing up straight. Sometimes, I don't do so well...

BethAnnKoehn said...

Ohhhhhhhhh Tooooooodles....ugh! My condolences...I'm right there with you.