Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Never Give Up Hope

While I was on vacation a few weeks back, I was contacted by a woman who asked if I could help her out by posting a video here on my blog.  She sent me a link and told me a little about what the video was about.  When her daughter was just 3 1/2 months old the woman who had contacted me, Heather, was diagnosed with mesothelioma.  It is a form of cancer that usually kills people within two years.  I can't even imagine how that would feel to realize I might not get to see my girls grow up.  In fact, it's one of my biggest fears.  

When she asked if I would share this video with my readers to get her message out to people, I said definitely, for a couple of reasons.  First of all she is here seven years later watching her lovely daughter grow into a little girl and she is cancer free.  This just proves you can beat the odds and to never give up hope.

I have a close friend who I met when our kids were just babies.  Right before I met her, doctors had just discovered a tumor in her brain.  She had just recently had surgery to see if they could remove the tumor.  They could not.  She was going through a tough time not knowing if she would watch her baby grow up.  Although the tumor is still in her brain, it is benign and hasn't grown in several years.  She has had the chance to watch her son grow into a boy and continues to live life to the fullest everyday.  

That is why when Heather reached out to me, I felt somewhat of a connection to her and her story.  I know what my friend has gone through over the years and how hard it has been for her.  She is always more than a little nervous whenever she gets her bi-yearly MRIs, but so far so good.  

It's been a while that I've been sitting on this story and this video and I just haven't had a chance to write about it or post it yet.  I guess I was kind of searching for the right time.  A couple weeks ago, Andy's cousin lost his 13 year old daughter to cancer.  I didn't know the little girl, but I can only imagine what heartbreak and loss the family is feeling.  So I decided last week it was time for me to post this in honor of the little girl that Andy's cousin lost.  I wish they would have had a better and more hopeful outcome like Heather.  

Finally, I am posting this today, because my family recently received some news that is....to say not good is not even covering it.  Heartbreaking would be correct.  It is something I'm not ready to talk about quite yet, because I don't know that my family member who this effects is ready to talk about it yet themselves.  I can tell you it's not about me, Andy or the girls.  However, I have spent the last day crying on and off anyway, because the people it does effect are incredibly close and important to me and I hope they know how much I love them.  Even though, what we are dealing with is different than what Heather dealt with, the message is the same.  It is one of hope.  Just because some signs point to all things bad doesn't mean there aren't a couple pointing to one of good.  One is all you need, because you never know what can happen.  So I am sending all hope I have to the people I love.  Heather thought she wasn't going to be there to see her daughter turn one, let alone seven, but as long as there is a glimmer of hope and a spark of love, all good things can happen.  That is what I'm banking on for my family.  

Thank you  Heather for sending this to me to post.  I had no idea when I watched this a couple months ago, how much it would eventually hit home for me.  Funny how life works like that.  

Click here for the link to Heather's video.

No comments: