Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Back To School

Oh hi there!  Yes, once again, I have been a bit lazy with the writing.  Sorry.  I was trying to squeeze everything into the last week of summer vacation.  But here I am again!  Back to a schedule, back to reality, back to school!  Yes, yesterday was the day I have been longing for/dreading for five years now.  The day I send ALL my girls to school.  Including my baby, Georgia.  

I know what you all are waiting to hear-how much did I cry.  Well, as it turned out not that much the day of.  This was for a few reasons.  The first is that of my three girls, Georgia was by far the most nervous and apprehensive about going to school.  I'm not sure why this was.  Perhaps because she's the youngest.  Or perhaps I said too many times how much I was going to miss her when she went to kindergarten.  Oops.  Therefore, I couldn't really break down in front of her, since she was already having a hard time herself.  It was a crazy morning anyway, so I didn't really have time to think about it to much until she was sitting on the rug in her kindergarten class with a look that said, "I really don't think I want to stay here".  I swallowed the lump in my throat, put my big girl pants on, and assured her that she was going to have a fantastic time.  She already knew the room, since it was the same one Lana was in last year, and she already knew a couple kids in her class, thanks to pre-school and mommy and me.  She nodded her head and tried her best to be brave.  Then I hightailed it out of there before I completely broke down.  

After we left I had a small teary moment, but I didn't feel I could completely lose it, because I was in charge of the Boo-hoo/woo-hoo breakfast we hold in the library for all kinder parents.  It is something I started the year after Sonya started school.  It's a way for the kindergarten parents to know they're not alone for feeling sad, or in some cases happy, about their little ones going off to school.  And it's a way for the PTA members to chat up some new blood!  Since I was the one putting it together, I didn't feel coming in hysterically crying would be the best idea.  Even if I was also a kindergarten parent.  

When the breakfast was over, I went home and my friend Carey met me there with a bottle of champagne.  But it was totally okay for us to drink it at 9:30 in the morning, because we mixed it with orange juice.  Mimosas do not count as drinking to early because they have OJ!  Everyone knows that!  She helped me drown my sadness in a couple mimosas and some girl gossip. (Thank you again Carey!)  We had a great time and will probably make it a yearly tradition.  Although next year I think I need to eat more for breakfast.  In all my craziness of the morning, I didn't eat quite enough and two mimosas did me in quickly.  Let's just say I had to walk to pick up Georgia at 11:30.  

Probably the biggest reason why I didn't cry to much yesterday though, was because I was kinda cried out about it from the night before.  My mom sent me a lovely email, which every time I read it now I cry again.  So thanks for that mom!  I hope she doesn't mind but I wanted to share it with you all.  It applies mostly to me, but also for others of you out there sending your last (or even your first) baby off to school.  Hold on tightly to those baby/toddler years.  They go by more quickly than I would have liked, even though at the time they seemed to be taking forever.  They weren't.  I really can't believe I'm at this point in my life.  It seemed like such a far off destination three even two years ago, yet here I am.  
Thank you mom for sending this to me and for always being there when I needed to vent about being sick of having babies/toddlers.  I didn't really believe you when you said how fast it would go, but I believe you now.  Now I will hold on tightly to every moment I have with them until my knuckles are white.  Even the moments when I want to tear my hair out.  Thank you for being such an inspiration.  I love you.  





Dear Kristi,
                Whether you are reading this tonight or tomorrow, I wanted you to know that my thoughts are with you as you send your baby off to school. I know that you will meet this day with mixed emotions.  when you were up to your hips in diapers this was a day you could not see in your future and now it is your present. I reminded you many times to enjoy each day because they would pass quickly, and so they have. I am very proud of the mommy that you are . I am awed by the job you have done.  You have worked hard raising the girls to this point but fear not, your job is faaarrrrr from over! Tomorrow when you return home to an empty house take the opportunity to “Poop in Peace.” I have a feeling it will be bittersweet,” Pooping In Peace … at last, sigh, sniffle”.  I still remember the day I sent Megan off to Kindergarten.  Thankfully she lightened the mood by taking herself to the bus stop (in front of our house) 3 hours before the bus for afternoon K came, because she was convinced that I was going to make her miss the bus since you and Beth were long gone. I love you with all of my heart and I will feel each tear, that you shed tomorrow, in my heart. After all I am still your mommy and my job never ends, nor does my love for you. Can’t wait to hear your first day stories. I bet I’ll have a few of my ownJ I love you.
                                                                                Mom



4th grader

1st grader

Kindergartener!

My three adorable school age girls.  Goodbye baby/toddler/preschoolers. :(

"Can I leave yet?"
She might have been a wee bit nervous.  This was the best "smile" I could get.


Just a quick footnote-I did indeed get to "poop in peace" yesterday, probably for the first time in 8 1/2 years.  Good luck to the rest of you about to send your babies off to school for the year.  For those of you still at home with wee ones, you will be here before you know it.  I promise.  

No comments: