Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The Brave One

Last week I was driving down Magnolia in Burbank to take the girls to one of their many activities.  There is a Halloween Store on that street that is open year round.  When they first opened the store I couldn't for the life of me think of why anyone would need to go to a Halloween store anytime that wasn't around Halloween.  That was until a couple months ago when I needed to go in there myself.  

I was making Spiderman cupcakes (of course) for GG's birthday party.  Basically I was making spiderwebs on the cupcakes in icing and I wanted to put one of those plastic spider rings in the middle.  Turns out the party store doesn't carry plastic spider rings in June.  Dammit party store!  Then I thought about the Halloween Store two miles away.  I was going to be that person to go to the Halloween store in the summer!  

Since school was already out, I had to drag all three of them to the Halloween store with me.  We walked in and I was surprised to see that it wasn't deserted. In fact quite the opposite.  There were quite a number of people in there.  Not just for it not being Halloween, but for it also being the middle of the day in the middle of the week.  Then I thought about the fact that scary is very in right now.  The number of zombie, vampire, and monster shows and movies these days really shows how people love scary things.  So it kinda makes sense that people would want "Halloween" things year round.  The people that don't love scary things...my kids.  

From the moment we walked in there Sonya and Georgia were glued to me.  It was a bit dark and ominous but I kept trying to remind them it was all pretend.  The only one not bothered by all the ghouls and gore was Lana.  

Yes, it certainly surprised the hell out of me.  She could have cared less.  This from the kid who I have to BRIBE to go see kids movies.  Movies like Despicable Me 2, or Turbo.  Never anything scary, but for some reason she always thinks it's going to be.  The monster noises and pretend severed heads at the Halloween store, eh who cares?

I found the plastic spiders I needed and Georgia and Sonya begged me to hurry up and get out of there as soon as possible.  Lana just continued to look around completely unfazed.  

So last week as we drove by the Halloween store Lana said to me,

"Hey mom, remember when we went to the Halloween store and I was the only brave one?"

"Yup, I do Lana," I said.

"Yeah, I wasn't scared at all and Sonya and GG were scared the whole time," she said.

"I know," I agreed.

"I was very brave and they just wanted to leave because they were so scared," she continued.  She was starting to get a little bit of an ego about it now and Sonya was noticing.

"Ok Lana!  We know we were scared.  Whatever!" She said to her sounding annoyed.  So I decided to help Sonya out a bit.  

"You were brave Lana, but everyone gets scared sometimes.  You are the one who never wants to go to the movies remember?  And it's never scary when we go, but you get scared,"  I reminded her.

She was quiet for a minute, then said,

"Yeah, but we're not talking about THAT.  We're talking about how brave I was at the Halloween Store!"

No comments: