Thursday, March 21, 2013

Now She is Six

Today is little Miss Lana's sixth birthday.  Yup-six.  I can't believe it.  She can't really either.  In fact, she didn't even realize she was turning six.

Just about every night when I put the girls to bed, Lana will ask me to lie in her bed with her for a bit.  I'm usually in the middle of finishing making dinner for Andy and I, cleaning up dinner, folding clothes, washing dishes, or just about any other number of chores I have yet to finish.  Some nights, I'm just to crazed or sometimes frankly just done with being mommy.  On those days I tell her I will be back in a bit, knowing she will fall asleep within five minutes.  Lately though, I take a beat and think to myself-"she will not asking me to do this for much longer".  Then I climb the stairs to the top bunk and lay next to her for just a couple minutes.  I try to commit her adoring little girl face to my memory to draw from when she's 16 and hating me.  Sure it sets back my chores, but for what, five minutes?  It's so worth it to be able to remember those times with her and have her remember that I took the time out for her.

Last week one night, as I was kissing her goodnight, she asked me to come lay down with her.  I threw my dish towel over my shoulder and walked up the stairs.

"Okay, but only for a couple minutes," I told her.

"Okay," she agreed.

Then we started to talk about how her birthday was just a week away.  Kids get so damn excited about their birthday and talk about it for months before it comes.  So much so that they give themselves half and three quarter marks during the year, showing that they are that much closer to their big day and another year older.  This is something that immediately stops once you hit 21.  With her birthday only a week away, she was beside herself and did nothing but constantly talk about it.

"I know you're excited for you're birthday, huh?"  I asked.

"Yes!" she admitted.

"Lana, I can't believe you're going to be 6!" I told her.

Then she looked at me a little confused and  said, "I thought I was going to be five and a half?"

I giggled at her for a moment thinking she was joking, except she wasn't laughing with me.

"Wait," I said.  "You really thought you were turning five and a half on your birthday?" I asked her.

She nodded her head yes.

"Haha!  Oh Lana!"  I couldn't help but be amused.   "No, girlie.  You're going to be six.  Last year when you had your birthday you turned five and it's been a whole year since that birthday.  So five plus one equals what?"  I asked.

"Six," she answered correctly.

 "Right! So do you understand," I asked.

"Yeah," she said.  "Okay."

I'm still not sure if she really got it, but at least when people ask her how old she is turning today she will tell them six and not five and a half.  It will keep the weird looks toward me down to a minimum.  For today anyway.




Happy SIXTH birthday Lana Drew!  We love you lots and more every day.

No comments: