Thursday, January 12, 2012

Leaving the Last Bits of Babyhood

So yesterday my heart broke.  It happened.  I mentioned in this blog post that I would have a hard time when this happened and I did.  


Georgia and I were playing a game yesterday.  Her sisters were both at school and I don't usually give her a nap anymore, unless I really feel she needs it.  Or I need her to stay up late for some reason.  Otherwise, giving her a nap only means getting her to bed is next to impossible.  I decided to spend a little quality time with her, since it was just the two of us and she wanted to play this game called S'match.  It's similar to other matching games, but you have to match either color, number or category.  It was her turn and she was trying to match colors.  She turned one card over and it was green.  The other one was orange.  Orange is her favorite color, but she has always called it "orangin", adding the extra "n" on the end.  So I said to her,


"Do those match?"


"No," she correctly replied.


"Right, because what color is this?" I asked.


"Green," she said.


"Yup, and how 'bout this one?" I asked.


"Orange!" She CORRECTLY said.


"What?" I asked, not sure if I heard her right.


"Orange," she said a little more unsure this time.  She didn't understand why I was questioning her.  She knew the color was right.


I looked at her sadly.  Here it is was, the day the baby talk starts to completely go.  


"Mommy, what?!" she asked, looking at my sad face.


"Not orangin?" I asked.


"Yeah orangin, orangin!" She said trying to make me happy.


"No, it's okay G.  Orange is the right way to say it," I told her, but in my head I was saying, 


"NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!"  


So sad.  Do they HAVE to grow up this fast?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This has to be the most depressing thing you've ever written about, minus Jazz of course. Can I still say orangin?

Allison said...

My favorite mispronounced word that Nate says is "puter-u" for computer. It kills me every time. And the other day he said computer pretty clearly. It made me sad.