Friday, July 2, 2010

Learning From the Best

Today is the 36th anniversary of the day my husband was born. Okay, it's his 36th birthday. I guess there's no need to get fancy. I wanted to wish him a happy day and thank him for all he's done as a husband and a father. Especially, I wanted to thank him for all he teaches the girls. Everything from how to throw a ball to painting the swing set. He helps them to learn their letters and numbers and teaches them to ride their bikes. He's always trying to spend time with them and teach them as much as he can. Then again, I guess he isn't the only teacher in this house. No, I'm not talking about myself, although I do take some credit for what my girls know. No, the other teacher in the house, as much as I hate to admit it, is the TV.

Yesterday I was putting together one of Georgia's birthday gifts, I hadn't finished yet, while the little girls were sleeping. Sonya was helping me out by handing me the screws and the hammer when I needed them. At one point I realized what I needed instead of a hammer was a rubber mallet. I wasn't sure Sonya would know what a rubber mallet was, so I asked her to go out to the tool bench in the garage and get me anything that looked like a hammer. She came back inside carrying another hammer we have and the rubber mallet.

"Thanks Sonya! That's exactly what I needed," I said as I took the mallet from her. Then she looked at me and rolled her eyes like a 15 year old. She sighed and in a condescending tone said to me,

"That's not a hammer, mom. That's a rubber mallet."

"I didn't know you knew that!" I said surprised. "Who taught you that, Daddy?" I asked. I assumed he had showed her the difference between the two at some point when he had used it.

I was feeling proud once again that my husband was teaching his girls everything he would teach a son, but that feeling soon disappeared when she looked at me and said,

"No. I learned it on Mickey."

Oh.

Well then.

I guess I should be thanking the television for all the hard work it's done to help teach my children as well. Although, it still can't show them how to throw or catch a baseball. THAT will be left up to Andy. And I have to say, Sonya can throw and catch better than I can at this point, so well done hubby. (Although, I'll admit that's not saying much. Still she IS pretty good)

I hope you have a great day and a wonderful year teaching the girls new things. I love you! Happy Birthday Baby!

No comments: