Monday, November 23, 2009

The Good, The Bad and The Even Worse

Okay, I'm not sure what's going on in our house the past few days, but I'm soooo over it.  For some reason Sonya, and especially Lana, have been CA-RAZY.  Perhaps Venus is in retrograde or Aquarius is in it's wheel house or something.  Who the hell knows?  All I know is I'm ready to sell a 5 year old and a 2 1/2 year old, or perhaps give them away. Any takers?  7:30pm can not come fast enough the past few days. Here, I'll give you a taste of what I'm talking about.

Sonya, for the most part, just doesn't want to listen and do what we ask.  Usually, she's pretty good, but not the past few days.  She ignores us  when we ask her to do something.  Even worse, she's been talking back.  Oh, that's my favorite!  Now, let me be clear here.  I have no doubt that in about 9 years I will have a mouthy teenager on my hands, much to my mother's satisfaction.  I was one myself and I fully expect to get it back, in spades.  HOWEVER, I do NOT need it now.  I was good when I was five.  It wasn't until the hormones took over that I became a force to be reckoned with.   She's only five!  Nowhere near ready for excused teenage bitchiness.   So when I ask her to do something and I get, 

"No, Mommy!  I do NOT have to do that right now." 

 It takes every ounce of me to not drive her out to the desert and leave her there.  Instead she gets time outs and less magnets on her "responsibility chart".  Friday night she had to go to bed early and with no stories.  You would have thought a fate worse than death, and you would have thought it would make her better on Saturday, but no.   Still bad.   I think between her and Lana there were 11 timeouts this weekend.  Although, Lana did have a bigger chunk of them.  

Oh Lana!  She was being so good for a few weeks there.  She was sweet, happy and most of all compliant.  I don't know what happened last week.  It was like she went to sleep one way and woke up mean, cranky and combative.  I kept thinking she didn't get enough sleep or she was hungry.  However, I've come to the conclusion that she's just like this sometimes.  It's her personality.  Perhaps she's practicing for her future PMS, I don't know, but I hope it ends soon.  She's been impossible to get to bed for naps or at night.  She's always been a bit difficult getting to sleep, but this has been off the charts.  

Over the weekend, I put her down for a nap and she asked for her drink.  No problem.  I couldn't find hers from earlier, so I got a new one.  Only, the new one wasn't pink like her last one, and when I took it in she insisted on the pink one.  I wasn't in the mood to argue with her and just really wanted her to sleep, so I decided to find a pink one.  I did, and when I brought it in she looked at it and said, 

"No, I wan puwple one, now."  The color she had just vetoed five minutes before.  I saw the game she was playing now.   

"Ooooh No!" I said. "You're getting this one now," I tossed the cup in the crib and walked out shutting the door to the screams behind me.  I think she cried for about 10 minutes and tossed the cup back out of the crib.  I went in there to calm her down, and she was too tired to fight anymore.  She finally fell asleep well after her usual naptime.

There's also the fact that Lana has figured a way to legitimatly, get out of her booster chair and not eat.  It took me a few days to figure out what she was doing.   Lately, when she doesn't want to eat what's in front of her, she'll sit there for a few mintues, drink her milk, then claim she has to poop.  She knows I'll get her out of the chair for this, because she likes to find a hiding spot to do her business.  I believe the first time she did it, she really did have to go.  Then she did it again and pretended like she was going to go.  I found her playing her running through the house with no poop in the diaper.  So for the next few days she would do it when she didn't like her food.  She tried it one more time this afternoon, but I called her bluff and made her finish eating instead.  

These are just a couple of the things that we've been dealing with recently.  There's more, oh trust me, there's always more, but I could be here all day telling you.  Again-ELEVEN timeouts.  The good thing is Georgia has been a peach through all of this.  That seems to be the way  things work out most of the time.  Even if I've got two, who appear to have been taken over by demons, I still have one acting like an angel.  I assure you the dynamics change, and it's not always G.  Sometimes, Sonya is good, sometimes it's Lana.  It changes on daily, sometimes hourly basis.   I suppose it's the way they help me keep my sanity. It has to be that way, because every once in a while when they're all bad, I'm ready to take that desert trip.  On the flip side, when the heavens part and the sun shines to them all being fantastic, I briefly think how great kids are and wouldn't it be nice to have more.  Then I'm smacked back down to reality with one screaming about the wrong color cup, and another crying because she wants more TV.  Some days I'm happy to just make it to 7:30.  

No comments: