Saturday, August 1, 2009

No Tilt-A-Whirl Rides for THIS Family

When I was younger I loved amusement park rides.  Roller Coasters, spinny rides, all of them.  The faster and crazier, the better.  Then something happened to me in my early 20's.  I started feeling dizzy after the rides that spun around.  It got worse over the years.  Then I noticed, after I had Sonya, roller coasters started to make me dizzy.  This greatly depressed me, because since I was tall enough, I've ridden every roller coaster I could find.  Now I'm at the point where I twirl in a couple circles, and I worry about my spinning head and impending nausea.  It sucks. After last weekend's adventure, it would appear Georgia may follow in my footsteps.  Lana seems fine.  However, Sonya may have the weakest stomach of us all.

Last time we went to Disneyland she, Andy and Melinda rode the Teacups.  Something I definitely can not ride.  I think she would have been fine, had they not ridden it that second time.  Immediately after the first time.  Sonya was fine for a bit, but then she started complaining of a headache.  She fell asleep, but when she woke up still wasn't feeling well, so we left.  About 30 minutes later she threw up.  In the car.  In her car seat.  Yuck.  Melinda was sitting next to her and was a champ about it.  I'll spare you the gross details, but let's just say she helped keep the throw up contained.  I doubt Sonya will ever ride the Teacups again.

Wednesday night Andy came home very early, for him anyway.  He walked in the door at 7pm and the girls and I couldn't have been happier.  They were ready for stories and a bit of fun with Daddy, and I was able to start making dinner without being interrupted, or so I thought.  As I've said mentioned before, when Andy comes home the girls like for him to do "spinny" with them.  Sonya has never had a problem before when he spins her around.  She will sometimes yell that she's dizzy and he'll stop, but then after about 5 minutes she's ready to go again.  He usually rotates between spinning her and Lana.  Wednesday night he decided to hold them both at the same time and spin them.  They loved this and made him do it over and over.  I'm not sure how many times he spun them, but there wasn't as much downtime between the spins, at least for Sonya.  After a few times, he decided they were done and it was time to read stories.  Sonya sat next to him on the couch and after a couple minutes closed her eyes and put her head in her hands.  Andy asked what was wrong and she said her head hurt.  Uh-oh.  Andy asked if she wanted to go to bed and she said yes.  Big uh-oh.  Just in case you weren't sure, no kid ever answers "yes" to the question "do you want to go to bed".  We put her to bed with a bucket next to her, just in case.  I've been through this before and it's always better to have the bucket there, trust me.  

About half hour later I had dinner ready, and it was time for Lana to go to bed.  When we went in the bedroom we found Sonya awake and whining.  She kept saying how her head hurt and she didn't feel well.  We asked if she was going to throw up but she kept telling us no, right up until the point where she was actually throwing up.  Good thing I had that bucket there.  She started to feel better after that.  I cleaned up her sheets and surrounding areas, since some of it didn't make it into the bucket.  Andy helped her change and brush her teeth.  About 20 minutes later, she and Lana were both in bed and our dinner was cold.  Just when I thought I was going to be ahead of the game for the evening, instead I wasted half an hour cleaning up puke.  

I don't think Sonya will be asking for "spinny" anytime soon.  In fact as we put her in bed after she was cleaned up, Andy sarcastically asked her if she wanted him to do "spinny" with her again.  She just looked at him like he was crazy and answered,

 "No, thanks."  

At least she was polite about it.  

  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They are definitely their Mommy's daughters! :)