Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Just Proving Further How Much She Is Like Her Father

Over President’s Day weekend, Georgia got a migraine.  That damn thing lasted almost two full days.  The first day was the worst.  Especially because the last 2 she has gotten have started around 5 o’clock in the evening.  This would be great if she would just go to bed and sleep all night, but no.  She sleeps until about 9:30pm and then is up every 20-25 minutes to throw up.  I end up staying in her bed with her because it’s easier than running down the hall every time I hear her start to cough.  Not to mention I don’t want to miss the throwing up, because that means more work for me what with changing sheets and bathing her at 2AM.  A task I’m no stranger to, but is not something I enjoy.  As you can imagine sleeping in 20 min intervals is not so refreshing for the next day.  Didn’t Kramer once try that on Seinfeld?  I seem to recall it not working out for him so well either.  Yeah, there is a reason we sleep for a solid block of time at night.  

The next morning when I finally decided it was time to be awake for the day and not just to hold the bucket for two minutes, I felt like I’d been hit by a truck.  The good news was that unlike other times she’s gotten a migraine, we had nothing going on that day.  We could just chill at home while she slept and threw up.  Andy took the other two out to do some things so they weren’t cooped up all day.  

When she gets a migraine, this is what happens: As the day goes on and the throwing up starts to subside, she will get hungry and thirsty.  Then I start to try and get her stomach back to normal by giving her spoonfuls of coke and salty crackers of some sort.  Now before you give me crap about the coke, I normally do not let my kids have soda ever.  Even when they do have soda it is usually something caffeine free.  But for some reason the coke helps to get her body back to where it needs to be.  Go figure.  Also good advice for stomach bugs that won't go away. 


The salt in the crackers is the other thing she needs.  Last time the final thing that worked to get her back to normal was McDonald’s french fries.  I know, I know also not something my kids ever eat,  but damn did it work.  Just a side note: Why is it that two of the worse things you can put in your body are two of the best things to get her body back to being good?  I don't get it.   Anyway-the bigger problem is keeping these things down.  Her little body get so thrown off with the constant purging of nutrients, that it doesn't want to hold on to anything even once the migraine is gone.  So then she will throw up if it's to much to soon, which depletes her body further which can lead to her being dizzy again.  It's a vicious cycle. I'm still trying to figure it out.  Then when I think I do, it changes again.  

So this time she was in my bed watching TV as I was cleaning or putting clothes away, or one of the other 100 things I can never get done.  She was not feeling dizzy at that point and I had given her a bowl of crackers to try and keep down.  She had only nibbled on a couple and I walked over to her to see how she was doing.  

"How are you feeling?  Still dizzy?" I asked.

"No," she replied.

"Well, you should try and eat some more crackers then," I told her as I picked one up.  

"I had a little bit," she said. 

"Try and have some more," I encouraged and popped the cracker in my mouth.

"Well, I licked da salt off of one," she said looking at me.

"Which one?" I asked munching on the ritz.

"Da one you just put in your mouth," she smirked at me. 

I can't even begin to tell you how much she reminded me of Andy in that moment.  I doubt she had really licked any of them and even if she had, there was no way she knew exactly which one it was.  She did it purely to mess with me. Even in the midst of feeling so crappy, she was able to do it.  So looking forward to having two of them like that in this house.   





No comments: